So as you know from my last post. I managed to install Lion on to a HP Compaq nc6320, while I was happy with the system, the lack of hardware acceleration bothered me. This was more to do with the lack of a DSDT, rather than dodgy kernel extensions. Thankfully I was able to come across a Compaq 6720s which has an upgraded chipset (GMA965 with X1300 graphics processor) and better support for Hackintosh builds. Using the similar method as before, with iAtkos ML2, lots of patience, and pre-done research, I came across a kext pack and DSDT’s for this system. GREAT!
So there I go, I throw in the iAtkos disk and do exactly the same set up as before:
PS/2 and boot with cpus=1.
When the installation completed, I was expecting to have the same problem as before with the lack of a backlight but instead I was surprised to see that the display (sort of) worked out of the box. All that was wrong with this, was the resolution was stuck at 1024×768, which caused an extremely grainy “feel” to the display which I didn’t get with the 6320 and there was obviously no hardware acceleration. Thankfully, no tinkering was needed in Single User Mode or Safe Mode like on the 6320, all I had to do to get this system set up right was to open up Kext Helper and install all of the kexts in the pack.
Kext Helper run its install perfectly and prompted me to reboot, so naturally I did. I was expecting to see my shiny new (non-grainy) display come to life, but instead I was still plagued with the crappy 1024×768 resolution. It came to me that the Kexts may not be directly compatible with my system (Apple hardware tends to have different ID’s) so I was able to run a few commands in terminal to binary patch the Kexts to look for my HWID’s and viola! Hardware Acceleration!
The good thing is, this laptop has about 99% supported hardware (from the chipset to the ethernet), the only thing again not supported is the internal wifi (those damn Intel A/B/G NIC’s). Nontheless, there’s a hacked BIOS floating around that removes the whitelist.
Good, enough about Lion. Let’s move on to Mountain Lion!
My set up for this consisted of a 2GB Memory Stick, an 64GB Memory Stick, the app store version of “Install Mac OS X Mountain Lion.app” and lots and lots of time on my hands (too much, according to my girlfriend). For the 2GB I transferred the kexts I need for this system (see download at the bottom of the post) and the 64GB I used myHack to prepare an installer for the system. Please note that when you’re using myHack, choose the generic bootpack as we can boot vanilla.
After installing through myHack you’re going to want to boot back in to myHack and run the “Remove troublesome kexts” patch, or you’ll get KP’s. After a reboot you’re going to be presented with your shiny new ML install. Oh yeah, it works. But as what happened with Lion, Hardware Acceleration refuses to work, and we are stuck in 1024×768. So now it’s time to prepare MLPostFactor.
What we need to do, is copy the “Install Mac OS X Mountain Lion.app” to the Applications directory and fire up Disk Utility. Where OS X is installed, I created another 20GB partition called “Install” (the name doesn’t really matter, it’s just to make things easier). Upon opening MLPostFactor I was greeted with a nice menu asking where to prepare MLPF to, I chose the “Install” drive and let it do it’s thing. The install it’s self took about 30-40 minutes while it prepared the modification of the system and the Kexts. This is only stage 1 though. I rebooted my system and Chameleon kindly presented me with the ability to boot from the Install directory, so I did. I was given the normal OS X installer display, and I selected “MLPostFactor” from the Utilities menu and the expected menu appeared again. It asked me what OS X I version I was “hacking”, all the way up to 10.8.4, which I knew I hadn’t installed, I was on Vanilla 10.8.0, so I quickly booted my regular system and installed the 10.8.5 (yes, .5) combo update and proceeded with the MLPostFactor patch.
After MLPostFactor had modified my ML install, I was getting serious Kernel Panics from all over the shot, VoodooPS2Keyboard, AppleHDA, and loads more. So I did what I had to after the fresh install and removed the troublesome kexts through myHack but it proved not to be enough. Out of curiosity I just ran the “Repair Disk Permissions” from Disk Utility on my myHack drive and that seemed to resolve the rest. Although I must note, I had to manually remove ApplePS2Keyboard and AppleHDA in Single User Mode.
Now back in to Chameleon, I try starting with the arch=i386 and to my surprise, I see the “RELEASE_i386” string in verbose boot! It’s working! I get back to my desktop and install the kexts on my 2GB stick as I had to before, and patch them with my HWID’s.
That’s it, a full day to hack my way in to ML. If you ever use MLPF, remember that you’re essentially running “Mountain Lion Developer Preview 1” under the bonet. MLPF is a dirty hack, but I have a stable system with hardware acceleration.
Also, as promised, here’s the Kext pack for the 6720s: